I think it would be very foolish not to take the irrational seriously. Jeanette Winterson
Be rational, people say as if –
- It’s (fully) possible
- The counterpart is unhealthy.
In reality –
- We all behave on a continuum from rational to irrational
- Those who put irrationality down are just as susceptible to it as those they criticise
- Knowing we are irrational will not stop us being irrational
- Rationality is not good or bad, nor is irrationality.
None of this absolves us from responsibility for our decisions or suggests we can’t improve awareness or emotional IQ. But it does challenge the idea that rationality is an endpoint or that rational thinking leads to rational or desirable behaviour.
Why the focus on rationality?
There are many reasons we elevate rationality, including – (more…)